Sunday, June 1, 2008

Day 2

So I probably won't keep up the daily blogging for long, but there's not much to do by yourself on a Sunday in Oxford when all the shops are closed! For some reason, I couldn't connect to the free McDonald's wifi today, so I found a little internet cafe with pretty cheap access.

I made it through my first night in the house, and did a little shopping for some of the essentials today (bedding, pillows, shower curtain). I had gotten some Friends VHS tapes to watch, but I think there's something wrong with the VCR since it ate two of them! I did watch the UK version of The Apprentice (I'm already hooked) and some reality show about people vying for the parts of Oliver and Nancy in the West End production of Oliver.

I don't think I've ever been so excited to go to work- it will be great to see all my UK coworkers, and to have something to take my mind off being here alone for another week. I've figured out my bus route, and I think it'll take me about 30 minutes door to door. The public transportation here is amazing, and so reasonably priced when you consider the price of gas (or petrol, as they say here).

They need to make some kind of instruction manual for people who have just moved to the UK. Chapter titles might include how to set up phone & utilities, how the heck National Healthcare works, and if you need to bring your own pillows and sheets to your new furnished house (that advertised white goods included). You know, the important things. I think I should probably write one myself if I ever figure these things out.

No comments: