Saturday, May 31, 2008

Here I am...

I arrived in the UK this morning (1:30 am US time) after getting no sleep on the plane as usual. It was so hard driving out of our neighborhood on the way to the airport, not knowing when I might be back there (and someone else will be living there when I do come back). I had a bit of a celebrity encounter, as John and Elizabeth Edwards were on my flight to Heathrow- they were whisked on to the plane ahead of everyone, though, so I just caught a fleeting glimpse of them.

Our realtor, Gersh, met me at the airport and drove me to our rental house. I have to say I was really depressed when I got to the house and found it to be quite small, very sparsely furnished (no sheets or pillows!) and in need of a lot of repairs. After a mini breakdown, I have convinced myself that it will be fine for the six months we've committed to, and hopefully we will have an easier time finding another place now that we're actually in town. It's still a bit of a shock coming from our beautiful almost 2000 square foot house, but we'll adjust. It's really lonely without Jon here (he's coming over a week from Monday) and I have no phone or internet access at the house yet (I'm camped out at the McDonalds, which has free wifi). It will be a relief to start work on Monday and have some human contact!

Over and out for now...

No comments: